Brrr! We actually have turned on the heat here in town, and Facebook posts count the many others that gave in this week. I hope that’s not putting too much of a close on farm work.
The gardens got re-tilled for Fall, but need a little clean up. We created a new compost pile and put garden waste, potted plant dirt, and a slew of nitrogen rich coffee bean waste in it for now.
I’ve gotten some of the crib work done, but again it’s invisible. I have 3 of the 4 windows framed out on the inside, but there are no holes cut in the siding. I managed to build a quick scaffolding out of 2×10′s from the barn floor and have this attached to the front of the crib. I need a full day to cut holes, remove the small pieces of siding, replace with plywood, wrap in tyvek, then install windows.
Besides the framing, I’ve been rebuilding some of the structure of the West wall. I’ve added extra supports to turn ‘bin wall’ into house grade code grade framing, and the top of the wall was done in 2×4′s, not 2×6′s like the rest of the place. Those got doubled up too add the depth and strength of the rest of the wall. Wiggles are gone.
It’s time to wrap up tractor work, change the oil and replace the mower and tiller for the snow blower again. I don’t count on seeing that white stuff anytime soon, but might as well be ready.